Digital Photography & Imaging / Project 1

6.4.2023 - 27.4.20203 / Week 1 - Week 4 
Michael Chan Henn Loong / 0363611 
DPI / BA of Design (HONS) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
Project 1


LECTURES

Week 1 / Introduction to Digital Photography & Imaging

We were introduced to the module during the first class of our DPI class, we were also briefed about the assignments that we will encounter throughout the whole semester.

Our first task for the week is to play the Bezier game and record down our score, create our e-portfolio blog, pick three designs from Pinterest that we are fond of (with a brief explanation) and also start working on the physical collage which is our project 1.

  




Week 2 / Introduction to Adobe Photoshop

In week 2 we were introduced to Adobe Photoshop, we took sometimes going through the basics of PS for an example knowing the functions of each tools in the toolbox. But during this class we mainly focused on the lasso tool, the pen tool and the layering.

For this week we are to finalize our physical collage and start composing different digital collages.


Week 3 / Photoshop Blending Modes

During week 3 we received a task on recoloring black & white portraits using Photoshop. Mr. Martin showed us step by step on how to extract the colors and apply them on the black and white pictures. 

After finishing the exercise provided by Mr. Martin we are asked to select a portrait from the google drive that is provided by Mr. Martin and recolor it as one of the assignments assigned to us and it will be graded as well.  

Week 4 / Digital Imaging

During week 4, we were introduced to a few basic compositions such as Rule of thirds, Golden ratio and compositions (framing, cropping). Other than that we also learned on how to use and differentiate some of the blending modes like Screen, Multiply and Softlight. 



Instructions



PROJECT 1 / EXERCISE 1 - PHYSICAL COLLAGE
Compose a physical collage using cutouts from magazines.

Process
Did some research on Pinterest before starting the assignment.

Fig 1.1 Pinterest explore board

After that to create my physical collage pre-compositions, I looked for magazines that I can use for my physical collage. At last I chose 2 fashion magazine that my parents bought very long time ago. As it is an old fashioned magazine so I need to use what I have within the magazine, as it is limited so it actually became harder but also fun at the same time.

Pre-compositions
I composed 3 different collages, and then uploaded it to Mr. Martin to get feedback on it. For me my personal favorite is Pre-composition #1, I like how the small words gets to express a sentence when all of them are combined together. 

Fig 1.2 Pre-composition #1

Fig 1.3 Pre-composition #2

Fig 1.4 Pre-composition #3

Final Physical Collage 
After getting feedback from Mr. Martin, I finalised my physical collage.

Fig 1.5 Pre-composition #4

I cut some of the words apart so that the whole composition doesn't look so boring and I also added in some other elements from other composition to make the whole thing more interesting.

Project 1: part2 (Digital Imaging Exercise) - You in Hearst Mansion
----

Final
Following the guidelines provided I took a picture of myself and use it in this exercise and following the steps Mr. Martin taught us I finished up this part of the project in no time.

Fig 2.0 You in Hearst Mansion (Final)

Project 1: part2 (Digital Imaging Exercise) - Recoloring Black & White
---

Process
I first chose a photo to recolor from the photos provided by Mr. Martin in the google drive.

Fig 3.1 Original recoloring image

After choosing the image to recolor with I proceeded with searching up a few colored image for the reference of the skin, shirt and shades color.
 
Fig 3.2 Skin, shirt and shades reference.

After searching up references I proceeded with recoloring the image by following the same steps we did in the exercise and here is the final result or my recoloring image.

Final

Fig 4 Recoloring B&W Portrait.


FEEDBACK

Week 2: 
In week 2 we received our first feedback from Mr. Martin. Mr. Martin likes the second pre-composition most among the three, but he said that the composition looks too ordered so he recommended me to maybe cut some of the words into different parts so that the composition looks richer. 

Week 3:
Can use the eyedropper tool to apply different colors of my choice and also masking out detailed parts it'll become easier for us during the coloring phase.

REFLECTION

Experience
During these few weeks, I personally enjoyed the classes and also the whole process throughout the  whole project as I learned on how to use PS and also learned new skills on how to make my work better.

Observations
I observed that I have various types of ideas in my head but due to the lacking of my skills I cant really create the artworks or design that I have in my thoughts.

Findings
Throughout Project 1, I learned that even though some stuff might seem unrelated at all but when we put them together they can provide us some different perspective of view and also another kind of beauty in them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DESIGN RESEARCH METHODOLOGY - PROJECT 1 / RESEARCH PROPOSAL

Game Studies

Advanced Typography Task 3