Task 1 - Game Design Document

25.09.2024 - ?.0?.2024
Michael Chan Henn Loong / 0363611
Game Development / BA of Design (HONS) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
Task 1 & Exercises


LECTURES



INSTRUCTION

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1usiTSebJdPoxEiFpz-dtWJ6utM-ZWH2x/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>


As I missed out the first class of the Game Development module I have no idea what happened. So I messaged my friends to ask for more information on what happened during the class, and I get to know that this semester is going to be hard and stressful due to both Experiential Design and Game Development shouldn't be taken in one same semester as they both consist a lot of work so they told me Sir Razif recommended us to drop either one. Well we'll see how things go and decide whether I'm dropping the module. 

So after asking my friends I knew that in Sir Razif gave us an exercise on analyzing an existing game in the link he provided and submit it latest by Sunday 1159pm.


EXERCISES:

-Week 1: Critical Analysis of an existing game

So I got the link from my friend and took a look in the website, didn't know there's a dev zone like this in Taylor's it's my first time knowing this and seeing how everyone is making games here make me feel energetic to go through this module too

Fig 1.0, Taylor's Design School Game Dev Zone , (9.09.2024)

So I chose Adam's Nightmare by Matthias Lim Shou En and tried out the game for a bit. From my POV its a traditional platform game with puzzle solving mechanisms the controls are easy to execute and the controls are easy to understand too, there's not too much of complicated mechanics just moving around, puzzle solving and some pull push actions.

Like other platformers movement and jumping are centerpiece mechanics in Adam's Nightmare. These parts seem simple and lack the refinement and smoothness found in most indie games. The basic mechanics depletes the complexity of the gameplay and while puzzles are present they fail to bring further challenge to the player which lowers enduring participation.

The task of grabbing items and manipulating levers in the puzzle solving improves the ease of the conventional platforming approach. But I think it could have offered more challenging or varied challenges. The challenges often stick to recognizable patterns that will boring to some players.

The game has a simplified or maybe minimalist visual that gives off the "Limbo" or "Inside" vibes but even the game has simplified visuals that suit its theme well, it declines to explore all its potential. Platform games usually succeed through colorful and varied landscapes that stand out against the character's story. The game's bleak scenery and low-quality textures showing that more polishing are required.


Fig 2.0, Adam's Nightmare by Matthias Lim Shou En ,  (9.09.2024) 

Fig 3.0, Adam's Nightmare by Matthias Lim Shou En ,  (9.09.2024)

And there are also few bugs that I've encountered while playing the game such as shown above in Fig 2.0 & 3.0 in 2.0 the character can run straightaway to the opposite of the land without using the boat and not sure whether it's my controls problem or anything the boat wont budge. In 3.0 My character fell out the map and I cant restart the level which I needed to refresh the game and start all over from stage 1 again. 

Overall I think Adam's Nightmare provides a strong base for new developers and is a good project for first timer. With more knowledge and skills it can be turned into a potential indie game.

PROGRESS:


FEEDBACK 



REFLECTION



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DESIGN RESEARCH METHODOLOGY - PROJECT 1 / RESEARCH PROPOSAL

Game Studies

Advanced Typography Task 3